Blog Home   |   Website   |   Contact   |   Fine Art Prints   |   Facebook

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Brighton, Canvey Island, Unfair?


I'm not trying to be deliberately unfair by posting colour photographs of Brighton, taken on a lovely sunny day at the same time as black and white ones of Canvey Island taken on a miserable wet day, but sometimes ideas just stick in your head.

I went over to Brighton last Tuesday to have a look at the latest wedding albums at the South West Photo Mounts roadshow, so I took the opportunity to grab a few photographs around Brighton Marina, nothing terribly exciting as I was a bit pushed for time, just some general views - you never know when another stock photo of Roedean School or boats in a harbour will come in useful...
 

 
Then on Thursday I had a meeting in Essex with a potential client.  Having had a far better journey than I expected and a good hour to spare, I decided to find somewhere interesting to look at and ended up in Canvey Island, a decision driven more by traffic queues to anywhere else than any long held desperate desire. 

I know nothing about Canvey Island other than it's a bit of an Essex holiday destination, so I was sort of expecting something along the lines of "Brighton on Thames Estuary"...  possibly a bit flatter, they don't have the advantage of the South Downs after all... maybe not the architecture, you can't put up a Royal Pavilion everywhere, we'd be overrun with them!  

What I didn't expect was what must be the world's largest caravan park, overlooking an oil terminal, and a concrete sea wall...  that seems to be about it.


 


The funny thing is that I actually prefer the shots of Canvey Island, it has a sort of bleak cool that I find quite interesting.   What has really stuck in my head is the idea of doing this the other way round, postcard type shots of Canvey contrasted against rather more grim shots of Brighton.  Finding the time is another matter though...

01323 639404


No comments:

Post a Comment